The binding property of Borregaard LignnoTech’s lignin-based products have been utilised for dust control, dust suppression, dust palliative treatment, road stabilisation and many other dust binding applications since the beginning of the 20th century.
These natural products function by adsorbing onto the substrate and the binding effect results from intermolecular forces between the lignin molecules and the substrate. This forms an inactive film binding system. The size of the binding molecule is believed to be of importance for the formation of the cohesive bond and thought to have a direct effect on the strength of cohesion. The lignin molecule is unique as it has several different polar groups and aromatic systems. This increases the affinity of the molecule which results in improved adhesion, and makes it suitable for a wide range of substrates.
The binding property of our lignin-based products is utilised in many types of dust control and dust prevention, such as:
- Dust-suppression in roads, parking lots, racing tracks, quarries, paddocks and construction sites
- Dust-palliative or dust prevention treatment of public and private roads
- Road and soil-stabilisation of secondary roads and areas
- Dust binding and stabilisation of Rally Tracks
- Sand dune and earth stabilisation on areas to be kept free from dust and wind erosion